What is Pelvic Health Physical Therapy?
The pelvic floor is a group of muscles that form a sling from the tailbone to the pubic bone. The pelvic floor plays a large role in core stabilization and can strongly influence performance in activities such as running, jumping, and weightlifting. The pelvic floor provides support to our internal organs, and holds an important role in our bowel, bladder, and sexual health. Pelvic Health Physical Therapy is a subspecialty that focuses on the evaluation, assessment, and treatment of the pelvic floor muscle system.
Your pelvic health physical therapist is here to listen to your concerns. All sessions are conducted in a private treatment room to provide a safe and comfortable healing environment. Together, we will create a plan of care that will get you back to the things you love to do without limitation.
Common reasons patients seek out pelvic floor physical therapy include:
- Pre and Postpartum Health Disorders related to Bladder and Bowel
- Urinary Incontinence
- Levator Ani Syndrome
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Post Surgical (Cesarean Section, Hernia, Hysterectomy, Episiotomy, Laproscopy)
- Diastasis Recti
- Clogged Milk Duct
You may benefit from Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy if you:
- Leak urine when you weight lift, cough/sneeze, laugh, run, jump, or during other activities
- Leak urine as soon as you feel the urge to use the toilet
- Experience pelvic pain with sexual activity
- Experience pain around the tailbone
- Have a feeling of heaviness or fullness in the pelvis
- Are recovering from abdominal surgery
- Are postpartum and experiencing pain or incontinence related to childbirth
Here’s what you can expect during your Pelvic Floor Initial Examination
Your evaluation will be conducted in a private treatment room where you and your Doctor of Physical Therapy can discuss your symptoms and concerns. You are welcome to bring your partner, friend, or family member; new parents are welcome to bring their infants.
After an initial discussion of your symptoms, your Doctor of Physical Therapy will evaluate your pelvic floor function through external and internal (if needed) palpation. Your therapist will design a treatment plan that addresses your concerns and improves your pelvic floor function.
*Given the sensitivity of a Pelvic Floor exam, we ask all patients to have a referral prepared for their first visit.
Symmetry Physical Therapy is a privately owned one-on-one patient centered physical therapy clinic in Downtown Miami/Brickell. Every treatment is with the same Doctor of Physical Therapy for the entire hour. Symmetry’s specialized, dedicated, and passionate team of professionals are fully committed to each patient’s success.
Award Winning Services