Recover from Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Pain for good.
TMJ Pain occurs when the muscles, ligaments, capsule, and disc of the joint become inflamed or irritated. Physical Therapy can eliminate TMJ pain by normalizing the mechanics of the joint, decreasing inflammation and eliminating trigger points via manual therapy, dry needling, and joint mobilizations and manipulations.
- Dry needling has been shown to increase blood flow to the temporomandibular joint, facilitating the recruitment of opioid producing cells required to reduce inflammatory factors. There is also some evidence that suggests that dry needling inhibits osteoclast activity while increasing lubricating hyaluronic acid, thereby improving the overall health of the temporomandibular joint.
- Winback technology has been shown to activate mitochondria to produce ATP while normalizing cell excitability and membrane transport, which are crucial components of temporomandibular tissue repair.
- Stretching, relaxation, strengthening, and endurance of muscles of mastication has been shown to improve neuromuscular control of the temporomandibular joint, thereby decreasing joint clicking, spasming, and asymmetry.
- Physical therapy is the preferred approach for temporomandibular dysfunction, as it provides a multimodal treatment strategy that is patient specific and targets the anatomical structures that are associated with the patho-anatomy of the condition.
- Multi-modal physical therapy has been shown to improve pain and disability associated with temporomandibular dysfunction for >6 months following treatment.
- In a multi-clinical site randomized control trial by Dunning et al, multimodal physical therapy has been shown to be more effective than interocclusal splint therapy and prescription NSAIDs for TMD.
Symmetry Physical Therapy is a privately owned one-on-one, patient-centered physical therapy clinic in Downtown Miami/Brickell. Every treatment is with the same Doctor of Physical Therapy for the entire hour. Symmetry’s specialized, dedicated, and passionate team of professionals is fully committed to each patient’s success.