How Physical Therapy Can Help Arm and Elbow Pain
If you are someone who is suffering from arm or elbow pain, you are certainly not alone. Luckily, in most cases, this pain can be remediated with the help of physical therapy without surgical intervention.
Now, if you are still unsure what is causing your arm and elbow pain and it has been persistent beyond a few days or debilitating you from performing in your day to day activities, then it is time to seek help. It is very common for weakness or injury in the shoulder, as well as poor posture and stability in the shoulder girdle, to leave you susceptible to arm and elbow injuries. During your physical therapy evaluation, your physical therapist will determine the foundational cause of your discomfort and select targeted exercises to address the deficit.
Arm and elbow pain, as unfortunate as this is to say, is a widespread occurrence, especially for those who play sports like tennis or golf.
What will a Physical Therapist do?
No matter what your situation may be, the goal of physical therapy is to improve your strength, flexibility, reduce your pain, and restore your function.
We also focus on improving your blood flow to your tendons, which can help with the reduction in swelling and accelerate healing. Below are common steps to achieving rehabilitation and recovery through physical therapy.
• Pain Relief: Once we do the initial screening and know exactly what is going on with you, the first action is to provide you with pain relief. This can be through muscle stimulation, manual therapy, exercise, stretches, and braces/straps.
• Exercises: Once your pain is under control, you will be eased into strategic exercises, that allow you to build muscle, stay flexible, and recover faster. You will start out small and work your way up as you progress.
• Stretches: As for stretches, you will do an array of techniques, such as finger stretches, wrist flexor stretches, towel twists, and wrist extensor stretching to really loosen up your stiffened areas.
- Elbow Dislocation
- Elbow Fracture
- Elbow Sprains and Strains
- Golfer's Elbow
- Ligament Sprains or Tears
- Little League Elbow Syndrome (Medial Apophysitis)
- Olecranon (Elbow) Bursitis
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Osteoarthritis of the Elbow
Symmetry Physical Therapy is a privately owned one-on-one patient centered physical therapy clinic in Downtown Miami/Brickell. Every treatment is with the same Doctor of Physical Therapy for the entire hour. Symmetry’s specialized, dedicated, and passionate team of professionals are fully committed to each patient’s success.
Award Winning Services