In order for some injuries to properly start the healing process, surgical intervention is necessary. Symmetry Physical Therapy works with the top surgeons in the area to assist in a safe and steady recovery.
Pre-surgical physical therapy treatments help patients learn what to expect after surgery, as well as how to improve strength, endurance, and proprioception for better surgical outcomes. Strengthening the muscles around the injury prior to surgery will decrease pain levels, post-surgical rehabilitation time, and assist in your body functioning more efficiently sooner.
It is important to start rehab soon after surgical intervention. Post surgically, patients are taken through an individually based, step by step protocol, during their recovery to ensure the best outcome. Our therapists use the latest technology and advanced manual therapy techniques to facilitate healing and allow the body to heal and recover as quickly as possible.
At Symmetry Physical Therapy our therapists are highly trained and experienced treating of a variety of post-operative conditions. Following your surgery and clearance from your operating Physician your therapist will conduct an in-depth evaluation gathering a detailed history and objective measurements. This will allow your therapist to create an individually tailored physical therapy plan of care to be carried out and help you in achieving your goals.
Post-surgical rehabilitation is commonly indicated following an orthopedic procedure for many reasons:
- Physical therapy care will help to promote proper tissue healing and minimize the development of scar tissue; both of which are common impairments following orthopedic surgery.
- Physical therapy will also help you regain your mobility. Mobility is crucial to attain proper form during activities of daily living. Proper joint and tissue mobility influences almost every movement someone performs. Mobility affects the way someone walks, gets in and out of a chair, goes up and down the stairs, squats, or runs a marathon. Appropriate physical therapy following surgery can help achieve your mobility goals.
- Physical therapy will improve muscle strength. After surgery, there is a loss of strength on the operated area, but also in the surrounding musculature. During physical therapy your therapist will focus on improving the strength of the surrounding musculature.
- Physical therapy helps re-gain the neuromuscular timing of the surrounding muscles. Any time a traumatic incident happens (aka surgery) the surrounding muscles shut down. During therapy patients work on re-training the neuromuscular timing to yield increased stability and promote faster recovery as well as to decrease compensatory patterning.
Post-surgical physical therapy allows you to have a faster recovery.
Through well researched methods and protocols, the therapists at Symmetry at highly trained to adapt all programs to our patients’ needs. Every patient is treated on a one-on-one basis during their entire session to focus on optimal recovery strategies and progressive treatment programs.
Physical Therapy following a surgical procedure can occur immediately following surgery, a few days after or in some cases after a prolonged period of immobilization.
Common orthopedic procedures requiring Physical Therapy
- Rotator cuff repair
- Labral repairs
- Bicep repair
- Shoulder replacement
- Meniscectomy/Meniscal repairs
- ACL/PCL repairs
- Knee replacements
- Labral Repairs
- CAM/PINCER debridement
- Hip Replacements
- Open Reduction and Internal Fixations (ORIF’s)
- Carpal Tunnel Release
- Elbow arthroscopy
- Ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction (Tommy John)